Skip to main content

tv   The O Reilly Factor  FOX News  April 9, 2012 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT

8:00 pm
>> the focus of the republic party on turning back the clock for women really is something that is unacceptable. >> laura: the democratic party ramps up its attacks on the alleged g.o.p. war on women. south carolina governor and possible g.o.p. vp picnic can i haley will be here to respond. >> are mormons christian? >> well, the key sticking point for evangelicals and actually for many is the issue of the trinity. mormonism denies that. >> laura: as mitt romney takes command of the republic presidential field his religion is being scrutinized. so how does mormon faith impact the 2012 election? brit hume and i will analyze. >> there are people in power right now who have opinions about you based on their privilege of skin color. >> he's back. reverend jeremiah wright delivers a controversial sermon on faith, race, and politics. we're going to show you the tape. trust me, you do not want to miss this one. >> richard nixon, fund
8:01 pm
mentionly dishonest or he just get in over his head in watergate thing. >> dishonest or stupid. >> and the factor honors mike wallace. we will show you a classic o'reilly interview with the legendary news man. >> monica lewenski? he could have done better. >> laura: caution. you are about to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. captions by closed captioning services >> laura: hi, everyone, i'm lauer are a ingraham in for bill o'reilly. thanks for watching us tonight. the phony moron women that's the subject of this evening's talking points memo. keeping with the theme of suffering on good friday, the white house hosted and boasted a women in the economy conference. now, this, of course, follows the relentless push by democrats to gin up the contrived war on women election narrative. the obama campaign has made it clear that appealing to
8:02 pm
working women is a key part of the president's re-election strategy. the administration showcased familiar obama boosters and election year feminist concerning conservatives such as obama pal kathleen parker. this is a choreographed event for maximum political pandering. though the president tried his usual jujitsu. >> women are not some monolithic block. women are not an interest group. [ laughter ] you shouldn't be treated that way. [ applause ] >> laura: so why are you treating them that way, mr. president. what happened to bringing people together rather than dividing them along gender, racial, and socioeconomic lines? and if you look at the facts, women are doing better than men. in her new book, the richer sex, liza monday shows in new york cities single women in their 20's without children on
8:03 pm
average make more than men. check this out. almost 40% of working wives out earn their husbands. the next generation of women in america will make more than their male counterparts across all levels of employment. in 49 of the last 50 months, unemployment was lower for women than men. this according to the bureau of labor statistics and women receive roughly 3/5th of both masters and bachelor's degrees from universities. the national journal heartland monitor group three fourths of women now believe they can advance as far as their talents will take them regardless of their gender. nearly as many report that they have not experienced discrimination at all in the workplace. now, i know the president would like to take credit for all of this, but the fact is these gains began long before his inauguration. and, we do not need to waste the taxpayers' money on
8:04 pm
transparently political events designed to reinforce the bogus notion that democrats care more about women and republicans don't. and that's the memo. now, on to the top story. democrats continue to beat the war on women drum. democratic national committee chair woman debbie wasserman schultz said this over the weekend. >> the focus of the republic party on turning back the clock for women really is something that's unacceptable and shows how callus and insensitive they are towards women's priorities. >> laura: what's callus and incentive is beating that cliche to death of turning back the clock. joining us from south carolina is the governor of the palmetto state nikki haley who has a new memoir out called can't is not an option. governor haley, great to see you. >> great to be with you, laura. another great day in south carolina. >> let's talk about what is clearly at the core of obama's re-election strategy. and it's to divide and
8:05 pm
conquer. and on this issue of women, he seems to be doing this to some effect. their polls say different things at different times. there has been in the last three weeks or so, two or three polls that have come out that have demonstrated that mitt romney has fallen somewhat among women. what accounts for that? >> well, i mean, how many times can we say the word distraction? that's what president obama is doing. he he doesn't want us talking about his record. he doesn't want us talking about how he has raised more debt in three years than president bush has in 8. he doesn't want us talking about the fact that we would say if we took the stimulus money we would never get above 8% unemployment. that hasn't been the case. he didn't want to talk about the fact that he believes in creating jobs but he believes in creating government jobs. when we are trying to do american jobs like boeing he will be the first to bully them and say no they can't do that. this is a president trying to create distractions. there is no war on women. women are doing well. women are thoughtful.
8:06 pm
what we in the republic party and across the country, republic and independents and democrat women say is we're more thoughtful than a label. we care about jobs and the economy and healthcare and education. we care about a lot of different things. don't label us and call us victims. >> laura: governor, why these poll results? women 18 to 49 today "u.s.a. today" and gallup not the be all to end all couple polls reveal days, something of a gap between women and male voters. there has been a gender gap for some time now. is this a problem for branding for mitt romney. temporary blip given all the media crush on this issue? >> you know, i'm not a pollster. but i personally think it's the fact that we are in this primary season. so much is the back and forth between the republic candidates that we haven't had the opportunity president obama has had to get out there and really talk and generate what i hope that the republic nominee does and what all of us will do is focus on going out to those groups that we're
8:07 pm
weak at. that's what a good candidate does. you don't go to the people that are just like you. you go to the people that you have to earn their credit. i think who governor romney is going to have to go out there. he has got the best golden bullet in the world which is ann romney. go out there and talk about the issues that effect all families in south carolina and across this country and that effect everyone. i think when he does that with his wife, who is a cancer survivor and m.s. survivor and strong mother, wife, and supporter of her husband, i think all of that will change. >> laura: she is without a doubt one of his most powerful assets on the trail. i think he would agree with that i think it was friday or so, the governor was asked about agus attachment ever time -- augusta. the private club deal, to me, that's their decision. that's how they want to run their club. he felt the need to say well, i guess something like well, i think maybe they maybe should
8:08 pm
admit women but i have other things to focus on. why even go down that road? it seems to me you are never going to beat the democrats on pandering to a particular interest group. why even go down that road of commenting on the rules of a private club? >> well, i think because the media is so focused on it what we -- i saw last week, the the media was just very focused on augusta. the good thing about it is they are discussing a female ceo. it's a great thing. it shows that women are rising. >> laura: yeah, but she can't go to the club. >> no. and what we want to say is i think augusta should take her. i think this is shows not only times are changing and traditions are changing. yes, augusta should take women and they will. this is something that makes america great is that people can be successful and they will continue to be successful. i think the media is trying to drum this up. >> laura: i think what is people can make their own choices. when republicans go down this road they just get lost in
8:09 pm
this narrative. again, it takes away what he has done to this economy and what he hasn't done to this economy. >> i will tell you, laura, that's what they are trying to do. it's all about distractions. he is going to continue to distract. we have to continue to stay on message of jobs, the economy and his record. >> exactly. i think mitt romney has bigger fish to fry than the rules of a private club. that would have been my answer. i'm not running for president. governor, great to see you. thanks so much. >> thanks, laura. always great to be with you. >> laura: next on the run down, reverend jeremiah wright. remember him? he is back and making more controversial remarks on race and politics, of course. latest explosion. later, an interesting twist in the case of an nfl teenager accused of having sex with a fellow student. speaking out in her defense coming up. ce morning, scott?
8:10 pm
aye, or...a mornin' of tiny voices crying out, "feed us -- wee awakened om our long winter's nap and we're peckish to the point of starvin'"!! i don't understand... your grass, man! it's a living, breathing thing. it's hgry, and you've got to feed it with scos turf builder. that a boy, mikey! two feedings now...in the springtime strengthens and helps protect your lawn from future problems. [ scott ] get scott turf builder lawn food. it's guaranteed. feed your lawn. feed it! ♪ lord, you got no reason ♪ you got no right ♪ ♪ i find myself at the wrong place ♪ [ male announcer ] the ram 1500 express. ♪ it says a lot about you. ♪ in a deep, hemi-rumble sort of way. guts. glory. ram.
8:11 pm
you get a 50% annual bonus. and everyone likes 50% more cash -- well, except her. no! but, i'm about to change that. ♪ every little baby wants 50% more cash... ♪ phhht! fine, you try. [ strings breaking, wood splintering ] ha ha. [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. ♪ what's in your wallet? ♪ what's in your...your...
8:12 pm
but does bringing a floor back to life really make us heroes? [ chuckles ] yes. yes, it does. ♪ call 1-800-steemer >> laura: in the impact segment tonight, the return of reverend jeremiah wright. the retired preacher who was president obama's pastor for two decades spoke last week at a baptist church in charleston, west virginia. playing some of the same tired notes we have heard before. >> there are politicians who are making decisions about you, about your life, about your future, about your family, about your children.
8:13 pm
and the real tragedy is they live in a different world there are people in power who have about you based on your skin color. >> laura: reverend wright still talking race and politics from the pulpit. here now toible aize juan williams and mary katharine, both are fox news analyst reverend wright is back. i'm in a gadd move. levity on the campaign trail. juan, what do you make of this? he hit all the notes. he was talking about thomas jefferson. he said a pedophile. he talked about pedophile and he talked about teddy roosevelt, the race to supreme court, voluntary, hagel, he went down the whole list of people to trash, i guess. >> i don't think there is any shortage of race baiters in society. they keep you and me in business because they are outrageous. there is something deeper going on here. i think it's that you have race as a major issue. especially as the presidential campaign is approaching.
8:14 pm
and i think people are playing on it for better worse. >> laura: you think he is doing this for publicity or what? >> no, no. i think that's generally who he is i think he has been playing to race. he has a lot of anger over racists. this guy down in florida the guy who wanted to burn the koran in weekend in the midst of the whole trayvon martin case he decides he needs to have a march in support of the man who shot trayvon martin. they are playing on racial anger and racial fears. as you say, maybe it's because they want publicity. >> mary katharine at one point he went on to trash people who went to harvard and yale. elite basher interesting at the beginning, then i lost track of what he was saying. evidence was questioning from the pulpit other people's christian faith, which i found to be very odd. even for reverend wright from the pulpit. i mean, crashing clarence thomas' faith obviously full disclosure is he my old boss. i found that to be so cheap and just, terrible thing to do.
8:15 pm
>> yeah. i mean, i think he does a lot of terrible things. i think unless he says some of this stuff at the press club and it damages obama, nobody is going to care about it. i do think that he is sort of a symbol of the fact that when you start these national conversations on race, and the left, it has to be said, countenance is some of these guys with these opinions and often pretty racist stuff that they say in the pulpit. then they want to lecture the rest of us about how we have a national conversation about race. it's not at all about having a conversation. it's a political tool, operates almost entirely independent of the facts often as you see in this nbc case where they misleadingly edited zimmerman's 911 call to make him seem more racist so we can have this conversation benefits the left. it's not a healthy exercise. if you want to have a discussion about it in your own home with your own friends, it gets a lot healthier that way. >> laura: was out recently saying that race is going to be a significant factor in this presidential election. and he said, look, that's just
8:16 pm
a fact. that's where we are out. so, three years after president obama was inaugurated and with much fanfare and historic and that great speech in 2004 about a nation being brought together, i don't think there is any question that rather is right on this. race is going to be a big factor. o'reilly said this is going to be one of the nastiest campaigns ever. >> laura: who is making race a factor? >> i think a lot of the older white seniors on the republic side want to say race is not a factor. why did you have to bring race up. >> laura: who is making it a factor. >> both sides. making immigration an issue. think about the kinds of laws passed in arizona and elsewhere. hispanics have a strong. it's not black white that time it's brown. stop and think about the idea of new laws intended to depress minority voter turnout. >> laura: that's right. that's what your opinion is that they are trying to suppress voter turnout? >> i don't think there is any question. i didn't see any fraud in the
8:17 pm
last couple of elections. >> laura: mary katharine, look, juan has raised the point it's a fact. race is going to be out there. no doubt about it hispanics feel put upon by some of the republic language on border enforcement and so forth. look at the results of these polls on race relations in the united states. new polls out, it's devastating. it's like the day after the o.j. verdict, right? that's how far we have come. exactly where we were in the o.j. verdict in 19 6. >> unbelievable. >> haven't quite made it to post racial. it's sad but here is a thing i do think these things ebb and flow quite a bit. there is some drumming up going on here when as long as the economy is not benefiting obama we will be having more conversations about -- >> wait a second. mary katharine. >> there are things that are distractions, juan. and the amount of coverage that certain things are getting, like we wouldn't be talking about having a national conversation about augusta national's policies or
8:18 pm
some of these other issues. >> can i make a point to you? look, i think both sides have some culpability here. when you hear republics in the midst of their primary talking about the food stamp president, talking about black kids don't have a good work ethic. when you have such high unemployment among black kids. i think a lot of that white racial anger. >> laura: mary cath rib and juan, you both chime in. is racism at the heart of our economic decline in the country? con fafs, will that do a single thing to employ another young male in the united states. >> no. if i'm hispanic and you are mitt romney and telling me have economic message. he doesn't like me. >> laura: he he needs to go into hispanic neighborhoods and sell that message. >> by having that economic discussion might be a bigger
8:19 pm
official to fry than some of the other things you have been talking about. >> laura: great to see you guys. mitt romney's mormon faith is under a microscope and vicious attack as he takes command of the g.o.p. field. brit hume will be here to give his take. special prosecutor in the trayvon martin situation says she is not going to use a grand jury in the case against zimmerman. what does that mean? we'll have a special report in just a few moments.
8:20 pm
let's start with car insurance x. this one does save people a lot of money and it's very affordable. it was very delicious. could you please taste car insurance y? this one is much more expensive. ugh. it's really bad. let's see what you picked. oh, geico! over their competitor. you are a magician right? no., oh. you're not?, no., oh, well, give it a shot. i am so, so sorry. it was this close. i can get a smartphone with verizon 4g lte ? it'd be so easy to check facebook, send emails. and the screen is easier to read in sunlight ! the universe is practically telling me to get a smartphone. it's like, "lisa, it'd be super cool if you got a smartphone. also, i like your outfit." thanks universe, let's get me a lucid. come in and say hello to your new, easy to use smartphone. the lucid by lg for only $79.99. verizon.
8:21 pm
8:22 pm
>> laura: in the hume zone segment tonight. rick santorum expects to be back on the campaign trail tomorrow after a break with his daughter bella. she has a rare medical condition and was hospitalized over the weekend. faces uphill battle as romney
8:23 pm
has all but wrapped up the g.o.p. nomination. even newt gingrich admitted on "fox news sunday" yesterday that romney is likely to win. more and more the former massachusetts governor is facing questions and some criticism over his mormon faith. influential christian pastor rick warren weighed in yesterday. >> are march mondays christians? >> the key sticking point for evangelicals and actually for many is the issue of the trinity. that's the his terrific his foxbusiness.com doctrine of the church god is three in one. not three gods. one godfather, son and holy spirit. mormonism denies that that's a sticking point for a lot of atlantic -- catholic christians, evangelical christians, because they don't believe that. >> laura: romney also because of his religion. lab bore who shares romney's faith lashed out against the anti-mormon rhetoric specifically heard last week on msnbc.
8:24 pm
>> look at your own network, msnbc you have lawrence o'donnell, just saying some really nasty things about the mormon religion, about the founding of our religion, that it was based on some guy just waking up some morning and deciding that he wanted -- that he had an extramarital affair and that's how the religion was founded. there is some really nasty things already being said by your own network by nbc. >> with us now senior political analyst brit hume brit, for labrador to go on meet the press and saying this is your network doing this what do you make of it. >> sitting politician member of congress, we have had a lot of members of congress who were mormon. we have had a lot of prominent people in this country and we had a governor of massachusetts who was mormon. is there any real evidence that their mormonism has affected their conduct of their life in public policy in
8:25 pm
any pick way? i would say no. so, where is the evidence that mormonism is some kind of men november lent force that will drive these politicians to do the exotic things that critics of that faith accuse them. >> laura: things said last week on msnbc by this particular host were incredibly vicious and interesting because harry reid, of course, senate minority leader, mormon. it would be nice to hear someone like harry reid speak out against that type of rhetoric. i would imagine if that kind of stuff was said about, let's say, islam, museum faith there would be a national outcry. you can do this to someone who is like mitt romney kind of an upper crust guy but probably going to be the g.o.p. nominee. >> i think that's right. i also think that harsh criticism of people's religion goes over badly with most americans, whether they share that faith or whether they are deeply skeptical of it my guess is that you know, you get the kind of attacks heard last week that congressman
8:26 pm
labrador was talking about. they are not going to hurt mitt romney. if anything, they are going to help him. >> laura: you had this situation for mitt romney new polls coming out about women and romney, right? the gender gap still seems to be there. and so now they are embarking on this campaign to kind of soften his image. ann romney is taking a very prominent role in the campaign. is this going to even out or is this gender gap thing which initially laughed at by some republicans is that real? does it take hold? >> certainly has been present in recent poll. polls fluctuate. i'm not saying it isn't there and that it may not remain there. i would like to see some more polling over time about this to see if this persists. the other thing that happens, i think, there really is, etch or sketch or not a kind of reset that occurs at the end of the primary season. this one is certainly winding down now. you know, people give the candidates a fresh look. and a candidate is almost always enlarged by the image of winner and ultimately by
8:27 pm
the image of nominee. people take another look. and we'll see whether this aversion that appears in some polls to romney on the part of women persist. women, perhaps even more than men, dislike this kind of brawling that we have been seeing in the republic primary season this year. this has been a rough and protracted contest. it's not surprising to me that is a lot of people have been turned off by it, turned off by the republic brand and turned off by the republic frontrunner. women chief among them. my guess is that subsides. >> laura: veep stakes. who is is he going to choose for romney's veep selection. do you agree with the analysis the sooner he chooses after the investigating is done of all the top candidates the better rather than waiting for the republic convention where then the entire focus of the media becomes destroying that nominee as they try to do with sarah palin? >> i think it's there is no point in doing it now. >> laura: how about june? >> i'm not even sure that works. there is no need to do it. the other thing is that the
8:28 pm
selection of a vice president is a major choice of a nominee once crowned. >> laura: got to get the delegates first. my. >> my sense is if you do the vetting job properly and then announce later, you're better off because what -- one of the things you want the vice presidential nominee to do is to make news. you want your convention to make news. if you have already been chosen, there is really, you know what the platform is going to be. big story at these conventions for decades now has been who is the vice presidential selection? look at the predicament that john mccain was in politically going into that convention. he didn't have a lot of the republic hard core behind him. they weren't enthusiastic. sarah palin electrified the convention and ignited the party. can you say what you want to later but that's what happened. it helped him. >> laura: plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening. kids in california extra happy over a judge's ruling over mcdonald's happy meals. we will tell you about it
8:29 pm
next, the special prosecutor in the trayvon martin's case makes a surprising decision. nbc news fires a producer because of a doctored 911 call that made george zimmerman look like a racist. we have an update. we hope you stay tuned to those reports. are you guys okay? yeah. ♪ [ man ] i had a great time. thank you, it was really fun. ♪ [ crash ] i'm going to write down my number, but don't use it. [ laughing ] ♪ [ engine turns over ] [ male announcer ] the all-new subaru impreza®. experience love that lasts. ♪ on december 21st polar shifts will reverse the earth's gravitational pull and hurtle us all into space. which would render retirement planning unnecessary. but say the sun rises on december 22nd, and you still need to retire.
8:30 pm
td ameritrade's investment consultants can help you build a plan that fits your life. we'll even throw in up to $600 when you open a new account or roll over an old 401(k). so who's in control now, mayans?
8:31 pm
8:32 pm
>> laura: in the unresolved problem segment tonight, the special prosecutor assigned to the trayvon martin shooting has decided not to take the case to a grand jury, which was scheduled to start hearing evidence tomorrow. state attorney angela corrie is still deciding whether she will bring charges against george zimmerman who claims he shot trayvon out of self-defense. in another development, in connection with has announced announced -- nbc announced it fired the reporter responsible for doctoring a 911 call that made zimmerman look like a racist. crystal mccrary joins us. thanks for joining us.
8:33 pm
when you heard the prosecutor was not going to impanel the grand jury, what was your reaction? >> i think it allows the noise that's been out there in the press and possible sort of rush to judgment that has occurred around this case. it allows that noise to be quieted down. she can make a decision independent of those factors. what it will also do, i mean, his -- he will still, george zimmerman will still get to have a preliminary hearing at that point upon which his defense attorneys can present the evidence or they can present evidence and make the claim that it was, you know, stand your ground, self-defense. and at that point the judge can make a decision from there. >> laura: i was off for a few days last week so i was a little late to hearing the news about nbc. and nbc states that its producer inadvertently edited this part of the 911 call out where the dispatcher had asked
8:34 pm
zimmerman. tell me what he looks like. and he said well, he is hispanic, black? he said i think he's black. he is wearing a hoody. the way that ended up airing on "the today show" was very deceiving but nbc news says no harm. we didn't mean to do that. the guy is fired. is that good enough? >> well, sure. first of all, it's a little disappointing that this happened. everyone in the united states of america who watches the news has seen that 911 transport and heard it and to say it was inadvertently done, i'm not sure i buy that. and now, of course, the senior producer out of florida has been fired and it seems as though that person is the fall guy. i have got to believe that other people there knew about it as well. it's sort of unfortunate because handling it in that manner and misrepresenting what was really stated serves no one. i mean it does not hinder justice by any stretch of the imagination. >> laura: i know this does happen on occasion and up
8:35 pm
against the clock. i only have two minutes in this piece. how can we edit this sound bite down. i'm trying to live the easter message here and give people the benefit of the doubt. come on, this is one of the most explosive cases that we have seen in a long time in the united states. tempers are flaring. >> absolutely. >> laura: passions are running high. you cut out a part of the tape the dispatcher asking the specific question? >> it was a critical question that was asked. and absolutely to remove that completely took it out of context. and misrepresented the whole tone of the call. i think that was inappropriate. >> laura: also, i should say that the daily caller reporting on, this daily caller web site has been, you know, top notch. they looked into how the transcript of the 911 call indicates that george zimmerman did not continue, it looks like, to track trayvon martin after he was told. hey, we don't need you to do that the transcript does not indicate and the call does not indicate that he actually then
8:36 pm
set about going after trayvon martin. we will learn more. i do think when it's this explosive, you can't make those mistakes. and i don't think it's enough for nbc to say well, we are not going to -- they don't know who it was. >> we don't know who it was. let's make it clear that this is a very complex case. as we know more complex than we initially thought as information comes out. and i think that we all need to sort of sit back and wait until the evidence comes out to, you know, we just want justice served. that's really what the bottom line is. >> laura: it would have been nice if so. early players in this flying down to sanford had taken that attitude. i think people would have been in a much better position. thanks for joining us. thanks so much. when we come right back, new details in the case of a football -- the football cheerleaders accused of having sex with an underaged student. also, a california judge says mcdonald's happy meals are here to stay. yea. later, a look back at the look
8:37 pm
legendary news man mike wallace. what did he really think of the american presidents he interviewed? the factor returns after these messages. ing with little toy trains and now i build them. i am a bigger is better kind of guy. i absolutely love building locomotives. i knew i wanted to design locomotives from when i was very young. [ jahmil ] from the outside it looks like such a simple device. when you actually get down into the bare bones of it, there's so much technology that's submerg. [ rob ] my welds are a signature, i could tell my welds apart from anybody's. you lay down that nice bead and you look at it, i love it. they don't go together by themselve there are a lot of little parts, and everyone has their job. [ scott ] i'd love to see it out there on the open tracks. and when i e it, i'm gonna know that i helped build that thing. [ train whistle blows ] here she comes! [ bell clanging ] [ train whistle blows ] wow! [ charlie ] well, it's one thing seeing them built,
8:38 pm
but then to see them out here, pulling freight across america, it makes us proud. ♪ if you want a luxury car with a standard power moonroof, your options are going to be limited. ♪ if you want standard leather-trimmed seats, you're going to have even fewer. ♪ and if you want standard keyless access, then your choice is obvious. the lexus es. it's complete luxury in a class full of compromises. see your lexus dealer. this is my grandson. and if it wasn't for a screening i got, i might have missed being here to meet him. the health care law lets those of us on medicare now get most preventive care for free like annual wellness visits, immunizations, and some cancer screenings. and that's when they caught something serious on mine. but we could treat it before it was too late.
8:39 pm
i'll be around to meet number two! get the screenings you need. learn more at healthcare.gov. you don't want to miss any of this!
8:40 pm
>> laura: thanks for staying with us. i'm laura incorporate imram in for bill o'reilly. in the factor follow-up seeing want tonight, three hot topics. including a judge toss ago lawsuit against mcdonald's happy meals. but we begin tonight with an update in the case of sarah jones. she is that nfl cheerleader and high school teacher accused of having sex with a 16-year-old student. a friend says the picture being painted in the media of jones is not accurate and that the cheerleader is good christian girl who does not party or drink. >> what don't we know about sarah jones? >> smart, christian girl. she doesn't drink. doesn't party probably totally
8:41 pm
opposite of what you think of when you think of an nfl glamorous teenager. >> especially of the one we have seen in the news. >> yes, very much so. very down to earth. very much so. loves her students, loves teaching. just a good girl. >> laura: joining us now from new york rebekah and woodland. interesting cases to say the least. rebekah, let's start with you. >> okay. >> laura: this case involves this former nfl cheerleader and now apparently her mother is also part of this criminal case. tell us about it? >> well, we have two separate issues. we have the former cheerleader who has actually resigned from being a teacher. she is being accused of having sex with a 16-year-old student which in kentucky, where this alleged sex took place, that would be under age. two different things, felony sex with a minor. first degree sexual abuse
8:42 pm
which carries a five year possible sentence and using the internet. unlawful means to induce a minor. five year sentence possibly too a felony. now her mom is involved because her mom is a principal in another school, totally different school district but we i couldn't understand that te prosecution has alleged, again, has alleged the mother has tried to cover up. so internet and text messaging that supposedly and allegedly went on between the teacher and students at that time. >> laura: all right. the trial scheduled in june. the victim says he is not a victim, is he supportive of the teacher, former of this teacher. alleged. i mean, how do you prove this? how do you this case? how do you push this case if the young man is not willing to be a witness? >> yeah, what victim? in fact, the victims are in court in support of the defendant, which is really unheard of, especially in sex
8:43 pm
abuse cases. so here is how that is going to break down. the prosecution is going to have a tough time proving all the elements of the offense if they can't get this kid on the stand to testify as to what happened. offenses because of that and he might get some stuff into trouble. they can't force the words out of his mouth. what's a jury going to think if this kid says i don't want anything to happen to this teacher. i actually like her. she is a family friend. it really is going inneuro to her benefit and tough time for the prosecution in this case. >> laura: good christian girl, loves puppies. >> great. >> laura: another depressing story out of a school in modesto, california, rebekah you can take. this this 18-year-old student drops out of school because she is going to move in with a 41-year-old teacher. >> you can imagine this? >> laura: and have a relationship there. by the way his name is fittingly james hooker. tell us about it? >> lauer, this -- laura, this
8:44 pm
is really disturbing to me because i sit there and see this 41-year-old man, married, had three children. he starts a relationship where he supposedly whoas this girl when she is 17. she has insisted they had not had sex until she was 18, which then would not make any statutory rape claims prevalent. but, still, he is a teacher. she is a student. he is there in loco parentis we call that in attorney terms. is he in place of the parents. he is in an authoritative position and he took advantage of this girl at 17. she moves in with him. and then she finds out he gets arrested for now another girl comes forward saying in 2000 -- i'm sorry, in 1998 he had oral copulation with her and she 17, underaged. >> laura: incredibly depressing but ladies can we move to something more positive? i'm going to tell when you i go to mcdonald's with my kids and, yes, i went offer the weekend to mcdonald's my kids love the toys.
8:45 pm
they love the happy meal toys. frankly, i love the toys, okay? so when i saw this lawsuit, you know, filed against the mcdonald's for having these toys i thought this is only in california, right? is this california? >> yes. san francisco. >> laura: so now the case has been dismissed. jona, tell us about it. my kids eat less because they are playing with the toys. i don't see the link to obesity. >> happy meals are happy once again because the toys can stay thank god. how ridiculous was this lawsuit? really. talk about frivolous. frivolous as having a lawsuit that says let's change the name from happy meal to unhealthy meal. it's just dumb. the california court made the right decision here. >> laura: maybe we can change it to the let's move meal and it would be okay. my kids don't eat because they are playing with the toys. it works perfectly. great to see you both. thanks so much. >> thank you. >> laura: look back at bill o'reilly's memorial interview
8:46 pm
with mike wallace. we will explain when we come back. . ♪ [ male announcer ] aggressive styling. a more fuel-efficient turbocharged engine. and a completely redesigned interior. ♪ the 2012 c-class with over 2,000 refinements. it's amazing...inside and out. ♪ the c-class starts at just $34,800.
8:47 pm
8:48 pm
8:49 pm
>> laura: in the factor flashback segment tonight, remembering legendary 60 minutes news man mike wallace. wallace died saturday at the age of 93. he spent more than 50 years interviewing, cob fronting, and interrogating the most powerful people in the world including seven presidents. bill o'reilly sat down with the iconic broadcaster and asked about those encounters. >> bill: you've interviewed a whole bunch of presidents. i want to get your feeling about them as men. what did you think of jfk as a
8:50 pm
man when you met him when you talked with him? >> you had to admire him. we lived five doors away from each other when we were growing up. >> bill: in brook line, massachusetts. >> that's correct. >> bill: when you saw him and talked to him did he impress you as a guy who should be president who had the right stuff? >> how do you know who should be president? what, for instance, what prepared george w. bush to be president of the united states? what in training? what in travel? what in executive savvy, what prepared george w. bush to be president of the united states? president of the biggest super power in the world? how do you train to be president? >> bill: do you compare kennedy to w.? >> no. no. i think that kennedy probably was better prepared, undoubtedly was better prepared than w. >> bill: kennedy was smarter you think? >> i think so, yes.
8:51 pm
>> bill: you don't have much use tore w.? >> i don't have much use for w.? >> bill: yeah, just coming across that way. >> is that a fact? >> bill: denying it? >> the jury is still out. how do you judge? >> bill: you talked to lyndon johnson. i think lip con johnson was an awful president because of vietnam. >> i thought he was awful president because of vietnam and wonderful president because of what he did for civil rights. i think history will remember him poorly for how he screwed up in vietnam. he was no longer president. i was down at the lbj library. and we walked past a thing that, a cabinet that was supposed to be about vietnam. and i wanted to talk to him about vietnam. and he said -- i don't want to talk about vietnam.
8:52 pm
i have talked to cronkite enough about vietnam. if you start talking to me about vietnam, i will send you boys talking. >> i said you have got to talk about vietnam, mr. president. vietnam [bleep] mr. president. and as a result, you [bleep] the country and you have got to talk about that. well, he looked at me as though i was out of my mind. >> bill: what do you think of the elder bush? >> i think is he a fine man. >> bill: smarter than the son? >> certainly in every way better prepared for the presidency. the greatest super bowl. -- super power. >> bill: richard nixon fundamentally dishonest or just get in over his head on the watergate thing. >> dishonest or stupid. >> bill: what's your read on it. >> he wasn't stupid. >> bill: got it jimmy carter, going to go down in history as one of the weakest presidents.
8:53 pm
what's your. >> as far as i'm concerned
8:54 pm
8:55 pm
. are you still sleeping? just wanted to check and make sure that we were on schedule. . the first technology of its kind... mom and dad, i have great news. is now providing answers families need. siemens. answers. you know how hard if yit can be to breathedo, and what that feels like.
8:56 pm
copd iludes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. spiva helps corol my copd symptoms by keeping my airways open a full 24 hours. plus, it reduces copd flare-ups. spiriva is the only once-daily inhaled copd maintenance treatment that does both. and it's steroid-free spiriva does not replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms. tell yr doctor if you have kidy problems, glaucoma, trouble urinating, or an enlarged prostate. these may worsen with spiriva. discuss all medicines you ta, even eye drops. stop taking spiriva and seek immediate medical help if yr breathing suddenly worsens, your throat or tongue swells, you get hives, vision changes or eye pain, or problems passing ure. other side effects include dry mouth and constipation. nothing can reverse copd. spiriva helps me breathe better. does breathing with copd weigh you down? ask your doctor if spiriva can help.
8:57 pm
finally tonight, a special double-header edition of p&p. new york yets quarterback, tim tebow addressed thousands of parishioners in georgetown, texas, yesterday at an easter service at the celebration church. his message was more inspirational than his fourth
8:58 pm
quarter comebacks. >> whatever happens in life, good or bad, whether you are the hero or the goat, whether you like it or not, you know someone had a plan for a special place. if you trust that and have hope in that, you have peace in all decisions and everything you do and it brings joy to your life. >> whether or not tebow makes it in the n.f.l. hall of fame remains to be seen. but i think we can induct him in the patriot hall of fame. and not to be outdone, 33-year-old bubba watson won the masters yesterday in a thrilling playoff. it was incredible. watson has never taken a golf lesson in his entire life. when he was asked about winning the green jacket he said he never got that far in his dreams. he's a patriot. a quick note, check out bill's big best seller "killing lincoln" and if you buy it on billo'reilly.com you get "eyes
8:59 pm
of justice" for free. they make great mother's day and father's day gift. bold an fresher tour coming to a city near you. bill and miller in new york city on may 12. indianapolis on june 22. chicago on june 23. tickets are selling like hot cakes. details on billo'reilly.com. finally, do not forget to listen to my radio show. listen on laura 365, on my website laur lauraingraham.com. buy my hilarious book. that is it for us. thank you for watching. i'm laura ingraham. remember the spin stops here because we're always looking out for you. captioned by closed captioning services, inc

70 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on